Tips for Dealing with Feeling Overwhelmed

Monday, August 07, 2017





I get messages a lot about people wanting to learn colouring, or who join a free class or a paid class, but then get too nervous and overwhelmed to start. I know most of you do jump in and I'm seeing some stunning work from those of you that do, but I wanted to do a little post today for those of you who might be feeling a bit out of your comfort zone, maybe even collecting classes, or too nervous to sign up in the first place <3

Did you know it is possible to think so much about a problem or task that you can lose the ability to act? It's important to be aware of when we should stop collecting information and start doing. If you recognise that this has held you back, here are some strategies to help you overcome feeling overwhelmed, and to start overcoming them to explore your creative side and to start learning.

1 - Break down tasks

This isn't just for colouring and can be applied to everything. When you are wanting to do a class, or do a colouring piece, or even clean the house, try not to look at it as one big task. Instead, break everything down into easy to manage segments. On an image or class, you might break it down into the sections of the image you are colouring and tackle each one only at a time. Eg. the skin, or the hair.

2 - Notice when you might be procrastinating

It is so easy to get all ready and think we are good to go, and then we'll just check facebook or pinterest or our emails.. and then it's 2 hours later and we've done nothing productive. We've all been there :) Use a timer and set aside just 15 minutes for your task, and then give yourself a 15 minute break, and repeat. Your break might be a treat of a cuppa and a browse online. This is a great way to get things done while still allowing some free time so you can both rest *and* be productive during your time off.

3 - Change how you speak to yourself

If you are telling yourself it is going to be hard or you "should" or "have to" do your class or make a card, then you are already setting yourself up to feel overwhelmed before you have begun. If you keep telling yourself "I should practice" or "I should try harder" then it can make you feel like you've failed before you've started. Try telling yourself that you "get to" or "Want to" do some colouring or learn something new today.

4 - Give up perfection

One of the strongest links to procrastination is perfection. Most people stall when they are worried they won't do a good job, or they have had a go once, found they didn't do a great job, and then they have stopped trying since. This is truly the only way you will ever fail at learning something new, and I know you don't want to be a failure so don't give yourself permission to quit if it's not perfect <3 Mistakes are one of the best ways to learn and figure out what we need to tweak to keep growing, so try not to ever be afraid of making these. The more chances you take (and mistakes you make), the more you will succeed.Step back, take the emotion out of how you speak to yourself, and instead of saying "there are a lot of mistakes" or "I did a bad job of the hair" or "I need to practice hair more", appreciate both the good things and think about what you might do differently next time to achieve a different result.

5 - Stop comparing with others

We all have different amounts of practice, different lives, different backgrounds, and different responsibilities. It's important to make sure you don't compare with what someone else is achieving when you don't know their background - they may have had 3 years more practice than you even though you are both in the same class now. Or maybe it feels overwhelming to know they have put in 3 years practice to get to where they are. Remember that it is never a race to learn anything new... and that we need to remember that we are doing this for ourselves and first and foremost for fun - the journey, not the destination, is the best part.

6 - Reward Yourself

When you have completed your 15 minutes of colouring, or you have finished a class, give yourself a little reward to use as a motivator to keep going. It might be something as simple as a cuppa or some browsing time, but the pat on the back to acknowledge your hard work will help you to feel that sense of accomplishment that you deserve.
________

You have to fall in love with the practice not the outcome. With the present not the future. Remember that at the end of the day, a class is designed to teach you new skills. It takes time, practice, and dedication to learn, with or without a class, and you most probably won't be perfect right away, but no matter how long you have been colouring you can do this and you are never alone. Jump in, make those mistakes, and start your learning journey. If you ever want to chat about feeling overwhelmed or nervous, even if you haven't joined one of our classes before, I am always available to help before, during, and even after <3 You can contact me here.

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. This article is so useful for me. I'm definitely a procrastinator and often feel overwhelmed especially when it comes to learning something new or knowing I have to make something for a certain occasion. I find your articles like this so interesting and they help a lot. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry my comment is late! <3 Thank you for taking the time to comment Crafty Natalie :) I am so glad you found the article helpful. Just remember, one step at a time. It's not a race, and we don't have to be perfect to make an achievement and to learn something. I'm always always here to help x

      Delete
  2. I think this will be helpful for a lot of people. I need to take a class on hair coloring and clothing. Oh those pleats make me want to fling my card across the room. It really does come down to practice. Heck, I can't play a piano in one day. It takes practice. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bunny! Hahahaaa! Pleats and folds are tricky - so is hair! It just takes time and practice and this was an area I really put a huge amount of time in when I was first learning to colour. Like huge huge huge amount of time hahaa!
      Just keep at it and I'm right here absolutely any time at all to guide you through, provide feedback, or just to chat. Would love to see you in class :D x

      Delete
  3. Are you sure you don't have a little tattle tale mouse living in my head? This describes my life to a T:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaaaa <3 You've got this lovely!! I know it! <3 I know you've mentioned before you are feeling a bit overwhelmed or not so confident. Please remember I'm here. You aren't alone to figure this out, but I want to see you have a go and practice as I know you would be so proud of yourself when you have finished something up. Please reach out anytime - I'm here for you x

      Delete
  4. Alyce, this is just what I needed to read today! Thank you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl! Sending you a huge hug - I hope you are doing ok! x

      Delete
  5. This post had perfect timing for me. I just got out of bed and looked at all the overwhelming things I have to do today and just procrastinated.
    Now I have made a list and feel I can actually get it accomplished today!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made my day <3 I'm so grateful that the post may have helped a little. You can do it! If you ever want to chat, I am always here if you are having one of those off days :) xx

      Delete
  6. I loved this article. It was amost like reading about my thoughts and how I limit myself. The last few years with a mountain of health issuses has shattered my confidence in all aspects of my life especially my creative side..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindi! Thank you so much for your message! I'm so sorry that your health issues have hurt your confidence levels. We tend to take out our frustrations with health and things that are wrong on our creative side first - unfortunately it tends to be the outlet. I want you to know that you are absolutely more than capable, in so many areas of your life. I know it has been hard for you, but you are strong to be here today. I would love to help you any time with feeling a bit more confident with your creativity. Please don't hesitate to reach out about anything. Wishing you the best day x

      Delete
  7. Great article. Motivating and practical.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Join our FREE Markers 101 Class

Class Badge