My play on the Silhouette + a little freebie :)

Sunday, October 06, 2013

Hi everyone!! Hope you are all doing well today :) Thank you all so much for your help and support since I got my Silhouette Cameo. I have been having so much fun!!! It is a little bit overwhelming knowing what to make.... but for my latest Live and Love Crafts Challenge project I decided to design my own project!!! 

It started out as a bit of a joke.... I was joking with my lovely friend Sheri about making my cat Lila a hat to wear... and then I thought oooohhhh... I'm sure I could make a pretty vintage hat! There were a few basic files in the Silhouette Store... but nothing that was quite pretty enough for me so I decided to design my own!! And without further ado... here it is!




It took a little bit of fiddling around to design... but I am really happy with the result :) Decorated with lots of yummy goodies from the Live and Love Crafts store... I love the butterflies on the back :)

 Around the centre of the hat, I tied together some Foam Flower stems to make a wreath; and then threaded some yellow and white seam binding through. I really love the look in real life!


Since it was my first experiement with designing... I thought I would also share the Silhouette File here for free for you all in case you want to make one too!! :D :D I would love to see how you all decorate it!!





Please let me know if you need a tutorial... but it is fairly easy. Here are some instructions :)

1. The two large circles are the brim... the plain one is the base (yellow in my picture), and the ornate one is affixed straight on top (patterned paper in my picture)

2. The triangular shapes with tabs make up the Crown (yellow in my picture). The bottom flap is simply affixed to the underside of the circle in the middle of the base. Bend along the perforated edges to achieve the curved shape, and affix triangles together using tabs following the shape of the inner circle. 

3. Ornate triangles are fixed over the top of the Crown base you have just made in step 2. Bend along perforated line to achieve curve.

4. For extra stability, you can add the small circle to the underside of hat covering the tabs where the crown affixes to the base. 

I hope that helps... I will work on some pictures to accompany the instructions aswell :) Please let me know if you like it or end up using it... I would love to see!

Challenges that I am entering with this card:

As You Like it Challenges - Favourite Project Not a Card and Why (I am real happy with this one as it is my first silhouette designed cut file :D )
Crafty Ribbons Challenge - Anything Goes with Ribbon
Happy Campers - Show Us Your Flowers
Creata Challenge - Anything but a Card
Challenges 4 Everybody - Anything Goes
Anything Goes Challenge Blog - Out with the Girls (wearing this sun hat hehe!)
613 Avenue Create - Anything Goes

Supplies
(click pictures to view product info)



You Might Also Like

39 comments

  1. Oh my good gosh, this is just AMAZING!!! The design and detail so precious. Joey xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is amazing! Beautiful work. Thanks for the file!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Alyce thanks so much for sharing this stunning project. I will be having a play ASAP. xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY SMOKES!!!! You are so dang talented!! I mean it! Now, you're designing Silhouette files too!! This is another amazing, gorgeous, jaw dropping Alyce Keegan work of art!! If Lila doesn't smoother you in your sleep, I'd love to see a pic of her wearing this beauty!
    Pleeeeeeeeeeease ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very lovely. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Alyce!!! It's so beautiful!!!! Love the delicate design and gorgeous butterflies! Do you have a picture of your cat with the hat, lol!!! Hugs, Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely stunning, Alyce! Every little detail is perfect! Gorgeous design! Thanks for sharing the cut file and instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow amazing what you have made Alyce..great new challenge for you I guess.
    Have a nice sunday, hugs Blankina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you SHOULD BE happy with the result....it is absolutely exquisite in design and details!!!! A work of art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so sweet that you shared this file with us!
    thanks it sure Im planning this on my TODO list:)
    it is really stunning en jawdropping!!

    love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning, shame I haven't got a Silhouette :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow thank you its beautiful

    Hugs, Sieta

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing creation Alyce! Love hat, adorable paper,butterflies, flowers and everything on hat.
    Jasmina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Alyce! Wow! You are so multi talented! You have created such a beautiful hat! I love it and all of the lovely flowers, lace and butterflies. I am disappointed that you didn't add a sweet picture of your kitty though.
    I'm sending you a private e-mail. I hope that you get it.
    Big Warm Hugs, Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is stunning, I'll have to have a goo at this one, very clever
    Hugs Julie P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alyce,
    Your project is amazing...As you know I am a HUGE fan of your work, and love to pop on over to your blog an check out your amazing projects...Again. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is amazing Alyce. I wish I had a silhouette cutter..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a pretty stunner this is - no joke at all! Bet the cat loves wearing this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy Smokies... that is unbelievable.... great job.... I am waiting for my Silhouette to arrive on Friday....... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing hat!!
    I wish I knew how to use my new Silhoutte
    so I could make it :o(
    Big Hugs, Candy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely Stunning! Thank you for the file, deffo need to try this one.

    Huggsss, Angelique

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow Alyce this is so stunning, I wish I had a silhouette, I'd be downloading your file now, it's truly gorgeous, well done you, I love it.
    hugs Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow that is some hat!! Utterly beautiful, thanks so much for sharing it with us at As You Like It and Good Luck. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous, honey!! I'm excited we will be able to talk silhouette!! :))
    Now... If I can just get it out of the box... Lol ! ;) ;)
    You are so sweet to share your cut files!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. A truly georgous hat. Thanks for joining us at 613 Ave Create. PennyRae DT

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is beautiful! I wish I had a silhouette now :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks a lot for this beautifull freebie, love it!

    Friendly regards, Aletta

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning... Thank you for joining us at happy campers. Pauline x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Alyce, this is just stunning! Beautiful design and wonderful construction! Thanks so much for leaving this in our mailbox here at 613 Avenue Create.
    Hugz,
    Chana, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  30. such a pretty project

    but please could you tell me which Creata Products you have used as i do not see any and part of our Challenge is to use at least one of our products on entries

    Thank you

    Kerrie DT

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a beautiful project BUT in order to enter the Creata challenge the stipulation is to use a minimum of one creata product, can you list what you have used please. thanks Gill DT

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous hat. A lovely design. Thanks for sharing with us over at AYLI challenge. Carolxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning work!
    Thank you so much for entering the 4 krafty girls challenge this fortnight!
    Best of luck!
    Toni-Marie DT xxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are a talented woman Alyce...love your work as always thanks for play with us at AYLI challenge this week

    Suzette

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is fabulous , just wich I had a silhouette so I could try , alas I only have a cricut!.....still it is amazing....
    Hugz Kath...xx...

    ReplyDelete
  36. WOW! This is magnificent! Love it! Hugs, Lesley

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Join our FREE Markers 101 Class

Class Badge